While I’m taking an unplanned break from app reviews (due to my G1 borking out completely), I thought it would be interesting to try something a bit different. To this extent, I caught up with developer htcclay, maker of such ROMs as FastTest, StupidFast, and now SuperBad, and asked him some questions.
- Can you introduce yourself briefly?
Sure…My name is Clay Smith…or possibly known better as htcclay.
- Do you have a day-job besides Android development?
I do… I’m a recycle driver for the biggest garbage company in the world. It’s an awesome job! I’m a garbage man! lol
- How did you get into development?
Well…honestly, I started off with Windows Mobile…(I know) lol… I had a few WM phones…so I was into phones in general. I started looking into android after I bought my son a black G1 for Christmas a couple of years back. I didn’t root it right away. I considered rooting it after I had done almost everything to my HTC Tilt I could. I got android to boot on my tilt and played with it only for about twenty minuets before grabbing my son’s phone and searching out root for android…Telnetd! =) I sold my tilt about a week later and purchased a bronze G1.!
- What was your first android phone?
My first android phone was a bronze G1. I bought the HUGE 2600mAh battery and the stupid big battery cover. lol
- And what is your current phone?
I have a white MyTouch 3G 32b I use daily.
- What ROM’s are you most well known for?
I suppose FastTest , StupidFast and now SuperBad for the MyTouch/G1 32b.
- What would you say is your best piece of work with Android so far?
I’m most pleased with the last “StupidFast 1.3.3”.
- Is there any stuff we should be looking forward to?
lol…I’m not really sure. I never plan anything. I really just do this for fun, then share.
- From those listed below, which is your favorite anticipated feature of Froyo?
- Flash 10.1
- Auto-updates for apps
- FM Radio on some phones
- Multi-coloured notifications on some phones
- Official Apps on SD Card
All would be very nice…Flash 10.1 is kind of cool though…Looking forward to it.
- What are your favourite apps?
To name a few I use daily…astro, twidroid pro, bookmarks br, bible (you version) let me look…Su file manager and quickboot.
- Which other developers you follow and respect?
Most all of them. They know who they are…I won’t be specific…in fear of leaving someone out. J
- Which Android phone do you want to own the most?
Good question…Well…I went and looked at the HD2 at T-Mobile last week and loved it…(the phone anyway, not the OS. Sorry WM) The handset was amazing. So I guess the HD2 running a clean 2.1 eclair would be my “dream phone.
- What do you think of the recently announced T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide in terms of hardware and software?
Haven’t really looked into the hardware…I like the sense UI espresso that is in it though…It’s unlike any sense I’ve seen…with all the different themes and options. If advertised and priced correctly I believe it will do very well.
- What is your general opinion of the XDA-Developers Community?
General opinion of xda is good. There is a lot of neat stuff to be found there. My only complaints are the lack of searching from the average new user. Oh yeah…and posting problems without a logcat lol! I was new once and I’m still learning. In totality it’s awesome.
- Has AndroidSpin.com (and Simon Walker) been good to you since you started hosting your stuff on there?
AndroidSpin has been really, really cool…especially Simon…He’s the man. He’s 98% of the reason my stuff gets released. Also, by the way…AndroidSpin gave me hosting free for months with asking for nothing in return before my first post…They have been nothing but cool.
- Do you have a Twitter account you want to plug?
Yes…but I feel weird plugging it. Follow Jesus Christ instead, not me. =)]
- Do you think of yourself as one of the newer developers around when compared with people like Cyanogen?
Hmm…I don’t really see myself as a developer…I’ve always felt the guys that actually write this stuff are. Not put it together. Idk. Maybe the team that actually wrote rosie from scratch or made the mms/sms we compile were developers.
- So would you prefer to be called a ‘dev’ or a ‘hacker’?
- To finish off, if you could make any single change to the Android platform, what would you change? You can either add a feature or remove a feature.
Tough question…I’ll have to think on that one and get back to ya.
Finally, I challenge everyone that doesn’t know their Creator to search Him out. I challenge everyone that doesn’t know Jesus Christ as their Lord and their Savior to earnestly seek Him. Draw near to him and he’ll draw near to you. It’s real.
htcclay’s work can be found at his AndroidSPIN Developer Homepage.