The ADW Launcher from @anderweb might be new app on the Android market (currently v.7.5 standalone), but I can honestly say it has quickly gain my pick for favorite launcher replacement, being to its highly-varied feature set, good performance on a 1st-gen Android device (in this case, a G1\Dream), and extremely helpful and responsive support from the developer.
Features (from developer’s website)
- Opensource home replacement app.
- Customizable desktop previews.
- Customizable application drawer (old one or iphone/galaxy one)
- Customizable drag&drop action buttons.
- Unveil the Dockbar flicking-up the app-drawer button and drop another 6 shortcuts/folders/apps!
Feature review: There are so many different options and customizations in this launcher, certainly more than any other launcher/home replacement app available. Listing a few: 3 different types of app drawers (transparent, fast, Galaxy-S style ), Sense style homescreen previews, customizable animation for app drawer, completely configurable app drawer arrangement, “Dockbar” shortcuts that are a flick away, two “drag&drop” action buttons next to the tab. It really took me about a week to play with all the options, and figure out which arrangement I liked best. Options and features are easily one of the best parts on this app. Be sure to check out the screenshots below.
I personally have been following this project since it was a simple mod for donut 1.6 to add launcher2-like features, and have been in consistent communication with the developer, @anderweb , who has been extremely helpful in fixing glitches, bugs, and providing general assistance to users of his app, but also open to suggestions regarding new features, options, and settings which could be added. I was simply blown away about how responsive he was on twitter, and how open he was to user feedback. Considering the app is free, this level of support is very impressive.
Overview: We all know that the Android market is flooded with various home/launcher replacement apps, some better than others. I would certainly consider this to be former, and you should certainly check it out on the Android Market or on the developer’s website , if only to see its enormous feature set and options. I’m sure you will have trouble parting with this great launcher replacement.
NOTE: See quote from Dr_Cloverdale below for recommendations regarding which version would be better suited for you.
1. It is easy.
2. No need to check for updates.
3. No need to wait on me.
4. No having to flash from recovery.
5. You can switch between this and regular cyanogen launcher.
Flashable Version Advantages:
1. Less space is taken up since you replace Launcher.apk
2. You can use metamorph with this version.
3. Bettercut can be used to edit icons.
4. It runs from system instead of the sdcard (or data).
5. Backup apps work
XDA Forum : Link