Parrot ASTEROID, the latest offspring from Parrot — one of the leaders in wireless peripherals for mobile phones — is a car receiver combining advanced hands-free telephony, connection to web services, access to innovative applications and multi-source music listening.
On the front you will find two sections, on the left a detachable plate with the volume knob and the buttons that control the primary functions. To the right you will find a 3.2″ TFT color screen used to display all of the needed information. The Parrot Asteroid fits in cars that have a single DIN stereo opening (think of that CD player that you first installed in your car, that’s single DIN). In terms of depth – I have never seen a car stereo receiver that is as shallow as this. In the pictures below you will see that I put a business card next to the Asteroid for a sense of scale.
- 3 high speed USB ports to connect a 3G key, a USB key and/or the provided GPS antenna ;
- 1 full speed USB port dedicated to iPhone® or iPod®
- 1 jack cable to connect an MP3 player
- 1 SD card reader
- 2 pairs of RCA pre-amp outputs
- 1 pair of RCA for subwoofer
- Geo-location: Parrot Maps is a cartography service enabling the identification of streets and businesses close to the vehicle. With a zoom on the address, the user can dial, hands-free, the indicated phone number or plan an itinerary.Other services, such as finding parking or gas stations.
- Information: Traffic and construction alerts.Parrot ASTEROID will be regularly enriched with new services aiming at making the road more manageable for drivers.
- Multi-source and hands-free music listening Multi-compatibility Parrot ASTEROID enables listening to music from various sources: USB key,iPhone® / iPod®, MP3 player, SD card and now web radio stations (thanks to 3G).
There was no price set at the time we saw this head unit, and the only estimate that Parrot would give on sales is Q2 of 2011.
If you want to know more go check out the product page over at Parrot