This is no longer the case. In fact Sony has just released a new version of the LiveView here in the states, it also came with a new name. Meet the SmartWatch by Sony. Looking at the old specs and photos of the LiveView, one can easily see they have revamped the design and made the onscreen UI a little nicer.
The SmartWatch is 0.03 inches thick and sports a dust resistant, scratch resistant and splash resistant 1.3-inch screen. As you can see there are a variety of wrist bands that are available as well. Your original purchase with come with a standard black band, but there is also Grey, White, Teal, Blue and Pink. Each color option is $19.99 separately. As an added bonus, the SmartWatch is also compatible with most 0.79 wristbands.
Navigation is a handled by tapping or swiping across the full touch screen. It operates similar to the LiveView, allowing you to see twitter feeds, Facebook, e-mail, control music playback, check the weather and even remotely trigger your camera on your device. All the available apps for it are already in the Play Store and none of them cost a penny.
I am personally really excite to see this product finally hit U.S. shores. You can check it out a little more at the Sony Store and get an order placed now if you are so inclined. They are retailing currently for $149.99. It seems a bit on the high side, but it does a whole heck of a lot. We will keep our eyes open for Amazon deals or any other deals on this device when they surface.
From my understanding of the product, it should work on most Android 2.1 OS devices and up. ”SmartWatch works with most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones.” Full press release below -
Store your Smartphone: SmartWatch
from Sony Brings Android Power
Straight to Wrist
Innovative Android™ accessory from Sony allows you to stay connected when your phone is stowed in your pocket or bag
• Read social updates, text messages and email
• Manage calls with a simple touch and swipe
• Personalize with apps downloaded from Google Play
• Control music on your smartphone
• Snap pictures with your Android phone from a distance
April 12, 2012, Atlanta, GA –Sony Mobile Communications announces the availability of its new SmartWatch, a wearable device that extends the power of Android smartphones by sending timely and personal information from your smartphone straight to your wrist. A vibration and screen alert notifies you of key events, like an incoming call. It also allows you to read texts and emails as well as receive Facebook™ and Twitter™ updates – all from your wrist.
SmartWatch from Sony connects to Android smartphones via Bluetooth™ giving you the ability to control key functions without removing your smartphone from your pocket or bag. With just a tap, touch, and swipe, SmartWatch turns from a watch displaying the time to a remote information center for your Android smartphone.
A growing number of apps are available for download through Google Play – including those for social updates, workouts and music – all customized for the 1.3-inch OLED SmartWatch touch screen. While SmartWatch works with these existing apps, Android developers can create apps specifically for the device. SmartWatch works with most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones.
“SmartWatch is the first of many Smart Extras that seamlessly connect and expand the smartphone’s reach and user experience,” said Paul Hamnett, President and Head of Customer Unit, North America, Sony Mobile Communications. “Designed to break free from the single screen experience, SmartWatch provides access to live content and entertainment on the go.”
The durable SmartWatch is dust proof and splash proof and comes with a black rubber wristband included in the box. Wristbands in five additional colors are available for purchase. SmartWatch’s design includes a rear mounted clip, so it can be removed from the wristband and attached to clothing or a belt.
At launch, SmartWatch has a suggested retail price of $149.99 and will be available athttp://www.sony.com/smartwatch
SmartWatch is part of Sony Mobile Communications’ strategy to create Smart Extras that make Android smartphones smarter.
Key Features of Sony Xperia™ SmartWatch:
- · Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- · Weight: 0.55 oz
- · Display: 1.3” OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- · Compatibility: Bluetooth™ 3.0 and Android™ 2.1 or above
- · Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- · Battery life: Up to 4 days
- · Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- · Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- · Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sony™ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications, Facebook™, Twitter™, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS), Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls – I’m busy, messaging – call me, email – ok,Battery strength, Find phone, and Weather widget. Plus lots of apps on Android™ market.
- · Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue