Looks like SamMobile was right, when calling out the Android 4.2.2 update for the Galaxy S III. Today, they just posted the zip file that you can place on your S3, and see what the update brings. The actual update should be rolling out at the end of this month, beginning of next month.
New enhancements in Android 4.2.2 update
- Android 4.2.2 – Build ID: JDQ39
- New S4 Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- New Additions in Notification Center
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the S4)
- Addition of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
- Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white)
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from S4)
- New smart switch widget
- Found more? Tell us about them in the comments below!
Make sure you follow the directions carefully below. Let us know how it is.
- This is a PRE-RELEASE firmware and is not officially released by Samsung.
- This is just like any official firmware, it DOESN’T increase the binary counter nor changes the system state.
Android Version: 4.2.2 – JDQ39 (Jelly Bean)
Region: Open Europe
Build Date: 21 May 2013
- Unzip the file
- Open Odin 3.04 (already included in the firmware package)
- Restart phone in download mode (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons)
- Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
- Add I9300XXUFME7_I9300OXAFME7_I9300XXUFME7_HOME.tar.md5 to PDA
- Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
- Start flash, sit back and wait a few minutes.
- If you encounter any issues with the firmware (Any FC, Bootloop etc)
- Boot into recovery mode (Home+ Power + Volume Up)
- Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
- Then choose reboot and you should be good to go