AT&T is gearing up for a refresher on the Unite mobile hotspot device line of products with the announcement of the Unite Explore. The new Hotspot device is targeted for an April 1st launch date and features a bit more of a rugged design than any of the previous Unites before it carrying a IP65 dust and water rating (complete protection from dust and from water from a nozzle) and a hard shock-resistant outer casing.
- Rugged design â€“ dustproof, water and shock-resistant (IP65 rating and certified to meet MIL-STD-810G standard for shock resistance)
- 4 Guest Wi-Fi with optional timer
- Content filtering (parental controls)
- Up to 22 hours of battery life on a single charge
- BatteryBoost to help keep your smartphone charged
- Dual-Band 802. 11ac/b/g/n Wi-Fi technology
- LTE Advanced and globally compatible on 4G LTE
- Intuitive touchscreen to monitor data usage, battery life and network connections
- Securely connect up to 15 Wi-Fi devices (hotspot password required)
AT&T is prepping the device for $49.99 on a two-year contract. They leave out the full retail price tag in the press release, but my guess is $150 to $200.
It is an interesting product to push out under the circumstances. After all, they are heavily pushing DirecTV and their Unlimited plan, which can’t use a Hotspot device or tethering from your phone. Those that still rule the airwaves with a data bucket and live a bit more of an adventurous life style, could find some good use for it on their adventures though.