While I’m taking an unplanned break from app reviews (due to my G1 borking out completely),Â I thought it would be interesting to try something a bit different. To this extent, I caught up with developer htcclay, maker of such ROMs as FastTest, StupidFast, and now SuperBad, and asked him some questions.
- Can you introduce yourself briefly?
Sureâ€¦My name is Clay Smithâ€¦or possibly known better as htcclay. 🙂
- Do you have a day-job besides Android development?
I doâ€¦ Iâ€™m a recycle driver for the biggest garbage company in the world. Itâ€™s an awesome job! Iâ€™m a garbage man! lol
- How did you get into development?
Wellâ€¦honestly, I started off with Windows Mobileâ€¦(I know) lol… I had a few WM phones…so I was into phones in general. I started looking into android after I bought my son a black G1 for Christmas a couple of years back. I didnâ€™t root it right away. I considered rooting it after I had done almost everything to my HTC Tilt I could. I got android to boot on my tilt and played with it only for about twenty minuets before grabbing my sonâ€™s phone and searching out root for androidâ€¦Telnetd! =)Â Â Â I sold my tilt about a week later and purchased a bronze G1.!
- What was your first android phone?
My first android phone was a bronze G1. I bought the HUGE 2600mAh battery and the stupid big battery cover. lol
- And what is your current phone?
I have a white MyTouch 3G 32b I use daily.
- What ROMâ€™s are you most well known for?
I suppose FastTest , StupidFast and now SuperBad for the MyTouch/G1 32b.
- What would you say is your best piece of work with Android so far?
Iâ€™m most pleased with the last â€œStupidFast 1.3.3â€.
- Is there any stuff we should be looking forward to?
lolâ€¦Iâ€™m not really sure. I never plan anything. I really just do this for fun, then share.
- From those listed below, which is your favorite anticipated feature of Froyo?
- Flash 10.1
- Auto-updates for apps
- FM Radio on some phones
- Multi-coloured notifications on some phones
- Official Apps on SD Card
All would be very niceâ€¦Flash 10.1 is kind of cool thoughâ€¦Looking forward to it.
- What are your favourite apps?
To name a few I use daily…astro, twidroid pro, bookmarks br, bible (you version) let me look…Su file manager and quickboot.
- Which other developers you follow and respect?
Most all of them. They know who they areâ€¦I wonâ€™t be specificâ€¦in fear of leaving someone out. J
- Which Android phone do you want to own the most?
Good questionâ€¦Wellâ€¦I went and looked at the HD2 at T-Mobile last week and loved itâ€¦(the phone anyway, not the OS. Sorry WM) The handset was amazing. So I guess the HD2 running a clean 2.1 eclair would be my â€œdream phone.
- What do you think of the recently announced T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide in terms of hardware and software?
Havenâ€™t really looked into the hardware…I like the sense UI espresso that is in it thoughâ€¦Itâ€™s unlike any sense Iâ€™ve seenâ€¦with all the different themes and options. If advertised and priced correctly I believe it will do very well.
- What is your general opinion of the XDA-Developers Community?
General opinion of xda is good. There is a lot of neat stuff to be found there. My only complaints are the lack of searching from the average new user. Oh yeahâ€¦and posting problems without a logcat lol! I was new once and Iâ€™m still learning. In totality itâ€™s awesome.
- Has AndroidSpin.com (and Simon Walker) been good to you since you started hosting your stuff on there?
AndroidSpin has been really, really coolâ€¦especially Simonâ€¦Heâ€™s the man. Heâ€™s 98% of the reason my stuff gets released. Also, by the wayâ€¦AndroidSpin gave me hosting free for months with asking for nothing in return before my first post…They have been nothing but cool.
- Do you have a Twitter account you want to plug?
Yesâ€¦but I feel weird plugging it. Follow Jesus Christ instead, not me. =)]
- Do you think of yourself as one of the newer developers around when compared with people like Cyanogen?
Hmm…I don’t really see myself as a developer…I’ve always felt the guys that actually write this stuff are. Not put it together. Idk. Maybe the team that actually wrote rosie from scratch or made the mms/sms we compile were developers.
- So would you prefer to be called a ‘dev’ or a ‘hacker’?
- To finish off, if you could make any single change to the Android platform, what would you change? You can either add a feature or remove a feature.
Tough questionâ€¦Iâ€™ll have to think on that one and get back to ya.
Finally, I challenge everyone that doesnâ€™t know their Creator to search Him out. I challenge everyone that doesnâ€™t know Jesus Christ as their Lord and their Savior to earnestly seek Him. Draw near to him and heâ€™ll draw near to you. Itâ€™s real.
htcclay’s work can be found at his AndroidSPIN Developer Homepage.