I’ve been meaning to write a review about Titanium Backup for quite a while now, but everytime I started to put together my thoughts about it, Joel Bourquard released a new update with a new feature to test out. I finally got a chance to sit down and write a review about this app, currently version 3.0.2. To sum up in one sentence, it is a must-have backup app for anyone jumping between builds, wiping between updates (which you all should be doing ocassionally), or just looking to backup your apps and data.
Taking a look below at the features list, it supports almost every option and configuration you can throw at it. You can backup system and paid apps as well as their associated data, and non-market installed apps in virtually any configuration you would like. A unique aspect of Titanium Backup is the market doctor, only available in the donate version, which repairs damages market links in apps that were inproperly updated/installed, and the app freezer which allows you to entirely disable an application without uninstalling it, making it very fitting of the name “App Freezer”. I really liked the amount of customization you are given over the application, as I had several types of compression available, and could enable\disable any feature I wished. Several other exclusive features only available in the donate version make it well worth the $3.99 pricetag, such as batch “zero click background batch” backup and restore, automated verification of backups, multiple backups for each app, all of which is user-configurable. I personally find myself using this app all the time to backup all my data and apps, which makes testing out new builds, updates, or roms completely seamless, and makes me feel secure knowing my data is backed up on my SD card should anything happen to my phone, physically or software-wise.
I’ve noticed that Titanium Backup gets updated several times a month,with each update including a new feature or multiple fixes, and ocasioanally a new language. Great developer support, and very responsive when emailed regarding questions, issues, or bug reports.
The paid version of this app is handled quite uniquely, as the app is developed in Switzerland, a country which has some restrictions with paid apps on the Google Marketplace. Once you donate on the developer’s website, you are emailed a license which you put on the root of your SD card, which in turn enables the premium features not available in the free version. Rest assured that if you do choose the free version, you will have an app quite worthy on it’s own merits.
Features of the Free version:
- No time limit
- Very fast app listing (~1 second for 300 apps)
- Sort apps by name / last backup / backup frequency
- Filter apps by name / type / status / Apps Organizer labels (also affects Batch operations)
- Backup/restore regular apps + their settings
- Backup/restore protected apps + their settings
- Backup/restore system settings (incl. Wi-Fi AP list)
- Restores the Market links when restoring apps
- Zero-click background batch backup
- Interactive batch restore
- Many batch scenarios (eg: if more than N days since last backup, etc)
- Zero-click app un-installer
- Zero-click system app un-installer
- Desktop widgetsAdditional features of the Donate version:
- Branding to your name
- Multiple backups per app (history length can be chosen)
- Zero-click background batch restore
- Batch verification of all backups
- Ultra fast HyperShell (much faster for almost everything)
- Market Doctor can remake any broken Market links (only for apps that were backed up with the link in place)
- App freezer can disable an app (and make it invisible) without un-installing itAvailable languages:
- Deutsch (thanks RinTinTigger)
- Norwegian (thanks Stian) - Coming soon
- Chinese (thanks Rollin) - Coming soon
- Russian - Planned