Today is definitely a rumored filled day. Samsung has definitely been at the cusp of all the rumors lately, but Motorola wants to join in on the fun. A little while back we heard rumors about Motorola working on a phone that was codenamed “X” with Google. Many were wondering if they were working on the next Nexus phone. Since they were working with Google, it would seem that that were the case, but there has not been any Nexus name drops when referring to this phone. Also in the list below, they mention that it is indeed not a Nexus phone. With that though, it does sound like it will be a phone full of pure Android goodness and here is what we might expect from it:
- Motorola X Phone will be announced at Google I/O in May.
- Current target for release is July 8 (definitely subject to change).
- All carriers will sell the X Phone.
- Verizon will sell it for $299 on contract.
- All versions will also be sold through the Google Play store at similar off-contract price to Nexus line.
- If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee.
- If you buy it through Google Play, it comes unlocked with no fee.
- Not a “Nexus” but will come running stock Android and with some bloatware.
- Bloatware can apparently be removed once unlocked.
Not too shabby. Funny how Verizon went from fully locking the bootloader, to charging to have them unlock the bootloader. Guess they realized there is no way they could win that battle when Android developers are determined geniuses that do not let anything stand in their way. Let us know what you guys think.
Source: Android Guys